Howard Goldman began his career as a land use attorney in Alaska in 1976, where he drafted regulations for the Alaska Coastal Management Program, handled environmental review under NEPA and represented towns and municipalities in adopting zoning and land use controls.
In 1980, Mr. Goldman was appointed Deputy Counsel to the New York City Planning Commission. As Deputy Counsel, Mr. Goldman was involved in the review of applications and other matters before the City Planning Commission, the development of zoning amendments, including the Midtown Special District, and coordinating the City Environmental Quality Review (CEQR) program.
After City Planning, Mr. Goldman was a land use partner at the firms Patterson, Belknap, Webb & Tyler and Winthrop Stimson Putnam & Roberts. In 1999, he founded the Law Offices of Howard Goldman, PLLC.
- J.D., State University of New York at Buffalo School of Law, 1975
- B.A., State University of New York at Buffalo, summa cum laude, 1972. Ad hoc major in Environmental Studies/Pre-Law
- New York State Bar, 1976
- Alaska Bar, 1978
Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association
- Advisory Board, CityLand
- CLE lecturer
Honors and Awards
- Recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2018 in the fields of Land Use and Zoning Law, and Real Estate Law
- Recently selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2017 in the fields of Land Use and Zoning Law, and Real Estate Law
- 'Best Lawyers in America' 2011 and 2012
- 'NYC's Elite Land Use Attorneys', The Real Deal, December 2011
- 'Best Lawyers in America' 2011
- Leading Individual, New York Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use, Chambers USA 2011 Client's Guide
- 'Top Lawyer', Corporate Counsel Annual Guide to Land Use and Zoning Law, April 2010
- 'Top Attorney: New York, New Jersey and Connecticut', New York Magazine 2010
- 'Top Attorney: New York Metro Area', New York Super Lawyers 2009 and 2010
- 'Best Lawyers in New York', New York Magazine, 2007 and 2008.
- 'Lawyers Who Mold the Shape of the City', New York Times, February 25, 1996